Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Eileen Hull Art with Heart Challenge - A Stitch in Time

Hi all! Hope your week is off to a great start. Today I'm sharing my project for Eileen Hull's Art with Heart challenge. The theme this month is A Stitch in Time - celebrating the release of Eileen's new Stitchlits line of dies from Sizzix. One of my favorites dies from the release is the Embroidery Hoop. It's one of those dies that has endless possibilites!

For this project, I decided to stack several cuts to make a thicker hoop that would look like a real wooden embroidery hoop. After I cut the hoops from chipboard, I glued them together with a strong adhesive and, when dry, painted them green.

I really wanted the fabric to be stretched inside the hoop like a real one, so I experimented with using the smaller ring that the die cuts. After gluing two together, I stretched the fabric across the back of the main hoop and carefully pressed the inner ring around the edge. As you can see, it's a bit too large, but if you let it bunch up as shown in the photo above, it will fit perfectly! You could also make a small cut and fit it that way too.

After you've decorated the front, just trim the fabric and add a layer of glue to the inner ring, then fold the fabric over to keep it in place.

It's hard to believe this isn't a real wooden hoop! I decided to keep my design very simple and added a cardinal cut from felt and burlap using Tim Holtz's Christmas Cardinal die. I added a stamp from Oxford Impressions and a Christmas Word Band to complete my panel. The fabric was so taut that I actually sewed the Word Band on while the fabric was stretched in the ring - I can't wait to try some embroidery next!

I hope you enjoyed this quick tutorial and are as inspired by Eileen's dies as I am! I'm imagining a whole series of these ornaments for my tree this year.

The supplies I used can be found at Simon Says Stamp and Amazon via the links below.





Thanks so much for stopping by today! We'd love to have you join us for our Stitch in Time challenge. You can find all the details here. Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I love this Shelly! I've added this die to my list of must haves. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so awesome Shelly!! another beautiful ornament for your tree!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!