Monday, June 2, 2014

Father's Day Industrial Caddy + Mini Book

Hi all! A new month means a new theme at Eileen Hull's Art with Heart Challenge. This month it's all about Summer Celebrations. Whether it's Father's Day, Graduation, or a pool party, we want you to share your project featuring this theme.

I chose to make a grungy little caddy that holds an travel-themed mini book for a Father's Day gift. Eileen's Caddy die is so versatile and I have been itching to grunge it up!

My original plan for the caddy was to use it as a gift card holder. After it was completed, though, I just knew a little mini album would be perfect for it. My first thought was that it had to be simple - I started this project at about noon and had to get it finished by the afternoon! In the back of my mind I knew I'd seen someone do a book binding with washi tape, and I had a pile of Tim Holtz's Tissue Tape sitting right in front of me. A quick search and I found this site, which explained it perfectly, and I was off!

Begin by covering medium weight chipboard with Ranger's Metal Foil Tape and embossing with Tim's Riveted Metal Texture Fade.

Using Eileen Hull's Caddy die, die cut your shapes.

Cover the embossed metal with black paint and wipe off, leaving some paint on the metal. Be sure and fold on the scores and paint the raw edges. Let dry then assemble caddy and embellish with Sprocket Gears and Mini Gears.

Now we'll make our book! Begin by cutting two chipboard covers measuring 3 1/4" square. Cover with paper and ink edges. Next, cut the amount of pages desired in the same dimensions as the cover.

To bind the pages, stack in sets of two and adhere Tissue Tape to the seam.

After your sets of two are joined, refold the opposite way and bind the sets together. I did this differently than the tutorial because this was easier for me.

Here is how it should look when all the pages are bound. Simple, right?

To bind the covers to the pages, I used the same method, adding chipboard shims to bring the cover to the same height as the pages. Trim off all the excess Tissue Tape.

To finish the book, I added more Tissue Tape to the outside binding to cover the raw edges and keep it all together. You'd be surprised at how strong it is! I embellished the cover with an idea-ology Index Label, Chit Chat sticker, Compass Coin, and a piece from one of Tim's Ephemera Packs (love those!). Finally, I added two of the new Mini Corners.

I am so thrilled with how this project turned out! I'm not even sure who I'm giving it to - my dad or my husband. They might just have to fight for it. :) Before I gift it, I'll be adding lots of pics and embellishments to the inside pages, to make it special.



Thanks so much for stopping by today - have a fantastic, inky, arty week! :)

15 comments:

  1. WOW what a clever idea! I love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I suppose I kind of like this -LOL, of course I LOVE it!! Gears and metal -super cool! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea Shelly. The mini book looks so quick to put together (which is a plus!) and the riveted metal look to the holder works fantastically. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I thinking you better make a second one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely a great Father's Day project and I might case your idea! My dh loves vintage cars and he recently took loads of pictures. So now I now what I am going to do with them. Thank you for the inspiration, Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. one more amazing project! thank you for the tutorial, it is absolutely inspiring ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! I am loving that embossing folder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is pretty awesome Shelly, I really love all the wonderful detail!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shelley this project is to die for...love it...going to order some of this...You rocked this one out of the park...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the rivetted metal on the caddy and the little album does look simple but it certainly is effective. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful guy project Shelly! I love the book - and the great industrial caddy to hold it! Thanks for sharing all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shelly your industrial caddy is just fabolous. Love your work. Admire your talents and creativity.
    Thanks a lot for sharing !!
    Hugs from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great project for Father's Day. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love every little bit of it!

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!